Lecture Sep 17
Lecture Sep 30
Exercise set 1
Exercise set 2 Correction: in question 2, RT
should be kT
Exercise set 3 (Updated version 29 Sep at 3
pm) Correction: in ex.2, the width of the size bins
should be 0.02 instead of 0.2, but if you have already
finished the exercise, no nead to redo it with different size bins.
Updated manual (Oct 1)
This is a slightly preliminary version of the manual, and more
will be added during the course. If some part is especially unclear,
you can send an email to oona.kupiainen(at)helsinki.fi and I will try to
write a better explanation. Below is a list of unclear things that have
come up so far:
- The cluster names of the generic charger ions (needed for defining
their source terms) are neg and pos
- Don't try to calculate the fluxes in ex. 2 of exercise set 3 -
there's some bug in the Perl script
- The driver might print out the message "Not converging, try a
larger Tmax". This means that steady-state hasn't been reached, but if
you are not interested in reaching steady-state (and in the first
exercise set you shouldn't be), you can ignore the
- If you fail to run Perl on a Windows computer with the command
'perl' even though Perl should be installed, find where the executable
is and use the full path: for instance 'C:\Perl\bin\perl'.
- Forming a condensational sink from the outgrowing clusters is done
in the cluster set file (=input file). Add a line that starts 'coag' and
contains the number(s) of molecules in the condensation sink cluster.
- Note that acdc.pl prints the name of the equation file, collision
rate file, etc. in the driver file. If you want to run several sets of
simulations with differently named equation files, you also need several
driver files. The command --append_to_file_names might be useful.